Wednesday, April 28, 2010

FIRE!

Last night there was a fire at my apartment building. Somehow the couch on the porch caught on fire about 12:30 a.m. Myself and my neighbors were all able to get out injury-free and the building had minimal damage. The firemen and police were called and took care of everything relatively quickly and confined the fire to the porch. They told us later that we lucked out in the fact that the building is brick instead of old wood, like many of the other buildings surrounding. They said the whole place could've gone up in flames if it were wood. The police and fire warden questioned us while the fire was getting put out. It was really chily last night and they found a sitting room in a nursing home up the block for us to use and try to stay warm. Finally about 2:30 a.m. they let us back in the building; there wasn't much damage beyond the porch, but of course everything smelled like smoke.

I feel very blessed and lucky to have gotten out and to not have any damage to my own apartment. I am very sleep deprived right now. I just couldn't get to sleep once I was back in the building because of adrenaline.

Here are some pics that I took with my cell phone, so they're not the best quality!



No comments:

Post a Comment